Alpha Source Code?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Dec 9 18:15:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Joe Brazeal wrote:

>Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:28:27 -0600
>From: Joe Brazeal <JBrazeal at spp.org>
>To: Linux and Red Hat on Alpha processors <axp-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: RE: Alpha Source Code?
>
>I just wanted to know if I wanted to start with an alpha with
>Tru64 on it and convert it to unix what would you do?

Tru64 is UNIX.  ;o)  Dunno if Ultrix was ever made available for
Alpha or not.  Personally I'd recommend switching from Tru64 to
Linux rather than UNIX, but that's just me.  ;o)

>go to the 7.2 RH cds and go from there.  (I wasn't really trying
>to be machine specific...sorry)
>
>Just curious if I could create a cd for my alpha...and install fedora 3?

As stated about 30 times in the last week on this mailing list,
and as part of this thread - Fedora Core is not available for
Fedora Core.  The last OS release from Red Hat which supported
Alpha, was Red Hat Linux 7.2.

Alphacore is the unofficial port of Fedora Core to Alpha by Mike
Barnes.  You're probably best off starting out with that, or dual
booting between RHL 7.2 and Alphacore perhaps.

I definitely recommend downloading the list archives and reading
every message for the last month or so.  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris        ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer   -   X11 Developer   -   Red Hat