Website about alpha stuff

Helge Kreutzmann kreutzm at itp.uni-hannover.de
Mon Dec 13 09:04:36 UTC 2004

Hello,

(sorry for the wrong oder)

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 01:34:29AM -0700, Buck Rekow wrote:
> i got that license out of the howto howto. if there is a better license
> i'd like to hear it.   If it's offensice, I'd like to fix it. remember,
> I'm limited to what i know from the howto howto.

> >[1] ·  The copyright notice above and this permission notice must be
> >    preserved complete on all complete or partial copies

Thats perfectly fine with me.

> > ·  Any translation or derived work must be approved by the author in
> >    writing before distribution.

Here you limit translations. Why? I often translate documents, web
pages, man pages, ... Why do you mind having e.g. a german or a french
version?

Also why do you mind having an "unapproved" derived work? Both the GPL
and the BSD licence do not care if upstream approves or not. If you
do not want your name to be stuck onto a derived work, then that is
fine. You can say, e.g.,

"Any derived work must be clearly marked as such."

Then if someone looks at the derived version, she clearly sees where
it comes from.

> > ·  If you distribute this work in part, instructions for obtaining the
> >    complete version of this manual must be included, and a means for
> >    obtaining a complete version provided.

Thats fine.

> > ·  Small portions may be reproduced as illustrations for reviews or
> >    quotes in other works without this permission notice if proper
> >    citation is given.

Thats (IANAL!) standard copyright, so you do not need to cite it.

I suggest using GPL or any other well known license. More geared
towards documentation is the GFDL (for both see www.gnu.org), although
the latter has problems as well.

There are other licenses for documentation, for a good review see the
"Grumpy Editors" series in lwn.net.

And if you really stick on the "derived work" thingy, you might look
at the current license for LaTeX, which is very GPL like but includes
a similar clause to prevent claiming ownership. Maybe this might fit
what you need.

Hope this helps.

Greetings

           Helge