Alpha Source Code?

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 05:35:53 UTC 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:03:46 -0800, Stephen Lewis <lewis at napanet.net> wrote:
>     "Apple Core"

Funnily enough, given the only other hardware I really have here
(aside from an old ThinkPad and various Alphas) is PPC-based, I've
been considering doing a build of Alpha Core on PPC, purely for the
amusement factor and as a bit of a sanity check.

Anyway - er, hi folks. Cristian mailed me the other day to check if I
was still alive, and I am - just really busy with "real work" leading
up to the silly season. Been spending far too much time on database
structures and web applications and other fun things. Hey, it pays the
bills.

On top of that, I had a little failure in some networking hardware
here, and I have to unplug "important" things to get my Alphas on the
'net right now. Doesn't make things easy for sustained development.

I'll be posting a few bits and pieces for consideration early next
year, if people can hold off until then. Mainly concerning what should
be included and excluded from Alpha Core. I'd love to get the
distribution down to no more than, say, three CDs.

Anyway - thanks for the kind words from people in this thread. Alpha
Core isn't dead, it's just temporarily de-prioritised - that includes
the rather buggy state of the web site.

(Why is it so hard to find a decent CMS that doesn't require MySQL as
a back end? Why? I have a perfectly good PostgreSQL server running and
I don't want to manage TWO database servers ...)

Ahem. I digress. :)

If anyone wants to get in touch, email me at mike at grouse.net.au - I'm
sort-of phasing out the Gmail account. It's handy for some things, but
doesn't fit my work flow very well.