JDK for Alpha?

Helge Kreutzmann kreutzm at itp.uni-hannover.de
Thu Dec 16 08:20:18 UTC 2004

Hello,
On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 12:11:11AM -0600, Dialup Jon Norstog wrote:
> The RPM puts a bunch of tarballs in the /usr/src/redhat/sources directory
> which you unpack and so on.  I got as far as "configure"  in the process and
> was told I need JDK,  at least version 1.3.1

There is/was a version of Java released by Compaq/HP. Check the
archives/their websites for the location and download requirements.

> I looked for JDK on my machine, in the AC 0.9 rpms, and in the i86 version of
> FC2.  No luck.  Sun has it on their website, but different versions for
> different platforms, none of them Alpha.

Yep. Since sun refused to give proper access to the sources for
porting, alpha was left out in the "cold".

> Is there a version of JDK that works on Alphas? The 1.4.2 version comes in
> different flavors, including 64-bit Sparc and Itanic (but not AMD-64).
>
> Has anyone got any thoughts on this one?

You should have a look at the Debian package, because they work around
using Java. Or, alternativly, check which free Java compilers/virtual
machines are available on alpha and try to use them.

> The configure routine was having trouble finding some of my libraries too, but
> I think I have them.  One thing at a time.

You might also try to contact Uncle George (check the archives). He
once did a port of a certain release of OpenOffice, and he might give
you more information.

Greetings

         Helge

Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann at itp.uni-hannover.de