Alpha Core Directions

Mike Barnes mike at grouse.net.au
Tue Dec 21 12:21:57 UTC 2004

Hi folks - got a bit of breathing space over the next day or so, and
thought I'd get some input for the early-next-year planned release of
Alpha Core 0.92, which should be a pretty major step towards something
I feel comfortable slapping a "1.0" release number on.

It's going to draw quite heavily from the Fedora Core 3 release
sources, but I really think it needs to be slimmed down quite a bit.
That's where some input would be welcome.

First up - am I correct in thinking that most users/potential users
would be using this on "hobby" machines? If so, is a focus more on
"desktop" than "server" functionality appropriate? I'm not talking
about dropping Apache or Samba or anything - but some of the more
esoteric stuff could go. Anyone's thoughts on this would be great.

The other side of this issue is what else would be good to include?
Pretty much anything that's in the Fedora Extras repository would be
pretty easy, provided there are no major issues beyond doing a rebuild
from source.

Speaking of Fedora Extras - maintaining a "contrib" of other packages
that we've just got compiled and ready to go would be a really neat
project for _someone else_ to do. I'd love to get to a state where I
can look after a tiny core build and someone else tracked updates to
things in the "neat stuff" category.

Target for 0.92: complete install set on no more than 3 CDs.
Suggestions on methods for achieving this are welcome.