Alpha Core Directions

Jeff A. jeff.abell at intnlsoftwareproducts.com
Tue Dec 21 21:49:56 UTC 2004

Actually, I was really wanting to use my Alpha machine as a server... it
also happens to be a hobby.  Unfortunately I haven't had time, and I'm still
not getting around to Moix's messed up LX board.  Maybe on the
weekend.......

I'm using PPC and Alpha machines as an excuse to finally learn linux, but
when every release is different and nobody uses the same editors and setups,
it's really, really stupid.  Mandrake does this, SuSE does that, and Red Hat
does something else.   Then Yellow Dog does *almost* like Red Hat.  Then I
get pissed and turn the machine off.  Then I remember how much I hate OSX
and I turn the Alpha back on.

The problem with Linux it seems is that it is assumed if you're using it,
you simply already know what to do.  I remember when I first installed Red
Hat 6.2 on a K6-2 333, I just followed the step-by-step instructions, then
after the install everything the book told me to do to set things up didn't
work.  The system didn't say *why* it didn't work - stuff just didn't do
anything.  Well, it didn't install a bunch of stuff.  Lesson learned, but
jeez.

JA