Alpha Core Directions

Jeff A. jeff.abell at intnlsoftwareproducts.com
Wed Dec 22 23:01:39 UTC 2004

Dude.  You COMPLETELY missed the point of everything I was saying.

> Hooray for Unix.

> >No, "Hooray for Unix Marketing."

Do you understand sarcasm?

I didn't say you could install linux on ANY architecture, I meant you could
install it on any architecture it was available for and you'd have the same
results.  As I have.  If the OS assumes you simply made a typo, then why is
it you read the man pages, you follow examples, and you get nothing?  That's
my experience. You can have seemingly identical environments to the example,
and it won't work.  Often times, hardcore linux people can't tell me why.

I do RTFM.  AH.  As I've said before, reading the Red Hat 6.2 manual end to
end years ago didn't explain itself.  If you're going to get anywhere, RTFM
isn't the best way to go.  Obscure websites and specifically forums are
seemingly the only way to find any real info.  Trial and error, trial and
error.

A modern OS will simply not work on old hardware?  Dude, the latest linux
variants will run on generally whatever.  The latest MacOS will not install
on a 9600, even with a G3 Upgrade, unless you force it.  I can't use a
Millennium or a Mach 64/Rage II/Pro or iXMicro card on OSX 10.3+ without
some kind of cheat, and even then it's not often functioning.  Why?  They
simply said, "no."  Not, "We can't."  Just, "No."  I can run the latest
linux with the same hardware on my 9600, 9500, 8600, 8500 with some work,
but Apple says, "No, give us vast sums of money for upgrades that won't work
on the old Mac."  Not even all that old.  The same cards that worked on a
xx00 series just fine (Matrox/ATI) simply don't do anything when you put
them in a B&W.  Apple has no loyalty to their long-faithful customers.  This
isn't about who is making a better product or who has better hardware...
it's about how a company talks in relation to how they act.  It's pitiful
the way Steve Jobs mashes drivel down people's throats, and they somehow
accept it as gospel and saviour of the world every time.  Apple's
hardware/OS control scheme is to obsolete everything as soon as people will
accept being forced to pay more money.  Kinda like SGI, only SGI clients
demand a little more out of their investment.  I can even shovel Windows
2000/XP onto some old junk, as horrible as XP is.  But we're not here to
discuss Mac or SGI...

Linux is not ready for the desktop, but regardless the reality is it's a
just a big, bloated, unfocused world.  I'm not trying to start arguments or
save the universe, I'm just pointing out where the problems are for people
like me trying to get into it.  The biggest problem being anti-n00bness.
The method is there, the reason is not, and there's always some dork telling
you to RTFM.  You don't get people into a sport or game by letting them play
and then telling them how stupid and useless they are because they don't
quite understand the big picture of trap defence, or saying "hahahah you
suck NOOB" because they missed a bank shot in pool.

Continuing on RTFM... isn't it great when you look at the schematic in the
164SX motherboard book, and there's numbers for thing but they aren't
explained?  Like XU59, U56, U39, etc etc etc... they give you the pinouts
for just about everything, but they can't tell you what a socket does even
though it's worthy of a place on Figure 2-1?

RTFM.

RTFM.

RTFM.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll keep that in mind next time I'm printing
the PDF's I print simply because I like wasting paper.

JA