How to enter into Single user model for Linux-readhat-alpha.

Helge Kreutzmann kreutzm at itp.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jul 6 15:26:49 UTC 2004

Hello,
On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 06:04:27AM -0500, Kinggo CHOW wrote:
> The as4100 server installs the linux-reaht-alpha-7.2 os. I forgot the root password and I don't know how to enter into the single user model. Could you giave me a hand.
> I had tried these methods:
> 1 >>> boot DKa0:vmlinux.gz single
> 2 >>> boot DKa0:vmlinux.gz init=/bin/bash
> They don't work.

1. Boot do aboot
>>>b dka0 -fl "i"

In aboot, type "l" to list your known kernels and options. Then simply
copy the proper line (omitting the leading number) and append "single"
or "init=/bin/bash".

Possibly (depends on the aboot-version) you can also do this directly
from SRM using the -fl argument, but I'd recomend the above procedure.

Greetings

        Helge

Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann at itp.uni-hannover.de
  gpg signed mail preferred    gpg-key: finger kreutzm at zibal.itp.uni-hannover.de