New question about OS hang up.

Nickolas Falkner jnick at cs.adelaide.edu.au
Wed Jul 7 07:00:43 UTC 2004

Hi Helge,

> Why ? If your current driver is loaded (and a module), then
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/networking stop
> rmmod OldDriver
>
> and then
>
> modprobe de4x5
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/networking start

There were two reasons I suggested rebooting. The first was that when I
tried the above steps on my cluster elements they froze during the
rmmod so I ended up having to reboot them anyway.

The second is that it appeared that the network issue for the original
poster could be causing other problems and a clean reboot would get all
of them at the same time.

> Heck, if you want to tune your driver (usually only needed for
> development/high performance/benchmarking), then you can recompile
> your driver and replace it without rebooting (just after the rmmod
> step). Rebooting is for this other OS!

No argument from me. I've happily fiddled with the driver with the
system up once I got the right one in.

Cheers,
Nick.
--