Best way to update RH 7.2?

Michal Jaegermann michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca
Sat Jul 24 03:37:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 08:16:51PM -0700, Donald White wrote:

> This weekend I would like to apply the updates from ftp2.compaq.com.
> What is the best way to do this?  I have them already downloaded.
> Should I let rpm just do its thing?

The simple thing is in a directory with what you downloaded to run

   rpm -Fvh *.rpm

There are two minor catches here.  If you have, say,
'glibc-....alpha.rpm' and 'glibc-....alphaev56.rpm', or possibly
still another variant, then make sure that in a directory you
are executing the command above is only _one_ of such packages
and that one you want to install or you will get conflicts.

The other one is that a newer package from your set may have new
additional dependencies and then the above will fail until you
install a required extra package (which may, or may not, require
use a '--force' flag making your installation temporarily
inconsistent).

> Build a yum repository?

That can be done quite easily once you have 'yum' functional on
your system.  Run 'yum-arch' on a directory which holds all your
new packages and they run

   yum -c my.own.config update

where a url in my.own.config looks like

  baseurl=file:///path/to/my/directory/where/are/headers

(i.e. directory named "headers" and not header files).
This should resolve both problems above automatically but I have
to say that I never really tried yum on alpha. I did play on
alpha with apt-get but setting that is a tad more complicated
(nothing which is not described in docs).

   Michal