Fedora Alpha - Update

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 00:11:00 UTC 2004

I booted a Fedora Core 2 install CD last night. Started up into the
initial stage of the installer, but then failed to bring up any
ethernet interfaces on my AS200 or the DS10. Going to work on a more
recent kernel - the one in the RPM we've got is a little flaky on my
system anyway. The chances of having a limited _very_ alpha image for
people in the near future is pretty good.

I'm going to dangle that little carrot in front of people for a while
in hopes of getting a little insight into a couple of package build
issues. Thought I'd try the collected brainpower here first.

First - alsa-libs is failing to build, and it's blocking quite a few
other things. I suspect it's something somewhere in the toolchain, but
I really don't know enough to nail this down.

The build only fails when --enable-static is passed to configure. It dies with:
Warning: Tried to .set unrecognized mode 'snd_ctl_elem_info_get_dimensions'
Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognised character is  `,'
Warning: Tried to .set unrecognized mode 'snd_ctl_elem_info_get_dimension'
Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognised character is  `,'

I can post a dump of the full build output soon, but my server's down right now.

Second - this has happened with a couple of packages - we've got
occasional incidences of _really_ huge binaries being built. Most
notable is the Omni RPM which has ballooned out to about 300 meg. I
vaguely recall someone mentioning something about this kind of thing
on this list before, but haven't been able to turn anything up.

Any insight on any of this gratefully received. I'll post more updates soon.

Thanks,
Mike.