Kernel Installation Options - Quick Poll

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Sun Jun 20 15:04:56 UTC 2004

I'd go with the third, a strong preference.

First, anybody with a modified aboot.conf may be in for an ugly suprise.
Granted, the aboot.conf file is probably easier to add a line to
automaticly than a great number of other configuration files but I still
don't want somebody blindly mucking with mine.

Second, a newly installed kernel should never be the default boot until
you've had a chance to test it. This is especialy true of any production
system.

Having a system that won't boot isn't the end of the world, but it is a
damned pain.

Make 3 the default with 1 and 2 options iff selected by the user. Make 1
the default if you must (and I think you shouldn't) but never 2.