Kernel Installation Options - Quick Poll

Balint Cristian rezso at rdsor.ro
Mon Jun 21 16:09:08 UTC 2004

On Monday 21 June 2004 04:47, Mike Barnes wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 02:24:52 -0500, Arkadiy Chapkis - Arc
> <achapkis at dls.net> wrote:
> >   What's wrong with having a standard aboot.conf with a generic "vmlinuz" entry that's a link to the real kernel? This
> > way a fresh install of the system (and kernel's rpm) doesn't do a thing to aboot.conf. Instead it uses a symbolic link.
> > And a kernel upgrade would do option 1 (adding an entry to aboot.conf without making it a default).
>
> Don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall aboot having issues with
> symlinks, at least at one point.

Hi Mike !

	I fail to get a good mkinitrd wich can modify entries in aboot.conf
and to fix it will take to write new routines in mkinitrd/grubby source but have a final solution for that problem
until will fix it totaly:

Distro come with a default aboot.conf wich has a default 1:/boot/vmlinuz initrd=/boot/initrd.img root=....
	Whenever a kernel is instaled it will create symlink for new vmlinuz and new initrd.img symlink, need to modify
kernel.spec post/pre for do this for alphas.

	I tested this one, symlinks in aboot-0.9b/aboot-1.0pre2 is super ok no problem at all, and never was as i know.

	Mike, as you told me have few issues with my 2.6.4 kernel so right now i am rebuilding latest FC3-devel kernel,
i need to figure out a best possible 2.6 kernel for the distro.

> The whole bit with your boot being based of symlinks doesn't work for
> me on some fundamental level, though. It adds a layer of "mystery" to
> the setup when you can't look at your config from aboot or SRM and
> tell what you're actually about to boot into. I think it's much better
> for a system-installed package to keep its files properly labeled for
> what version they're at, especially something that allows multiple
> concurrent versions to be installed like a kernel.
>
> Overlap with multiple versions, each trying to claim ownership of a
> file with a common name (even if it's just a symlink) is asking for
> trouble.
>
> Just simply adding an entry into aboot.conf for the new version
> (checking that it's not already there), might be harmless enough,
> leaving it to the admin of the system to decide whether to boot it or
> not, but even then you've got to either try to clean up on removal, or
> leave the admin to do it.

Someone offer volunteer to modify mkinitrd ?

	I can give a patch wich works partialy till some stage, but need time to figure out.
	I failed, getting trouble because aboot.conf has total different layout versus lilo/silo/yaboot/other.
they begin with strandard text based entry label or something wich is used as index of entry, but
aboot begin with a number/character wich is differnet enty by entry.