3-pin Fan Header Specs

Chris Meadors axp at clubneon.com
Mon Mar 22 22:06:40 UTC 2004

I just had a CPU fan fail on my DS5300.  I figured I'd replace the fan
on the other CPU while I was at it.

I know I have to flip-flop the RPM signal and one of the power leads
(I'll figure out which one when I compare the old plug to the new).

My question is, how much power can the fan header on the CPU card of a
DS5300/AS1200 provide.  I found these nice big Delta fans but they need
5.5 or 9.6 watts, depending on how big.  The review I found for the 5.5
watt model said to be careful plugging it into your motherboard as most
aren't designed to handle that load, and may burn out.

I'd like to get the 9.6 watt model, as it moves a huge amount of air.
But don't want to damage the CPU card.  Anyone think it is safe/unsafe?

Thanks.

--
Chris