wireless + broken debian gcc

Buck Rekow rekow at bigskytel.com
Fri May 21 06:13:08 UTC 2004

  I've got a bit of a problem. I'm running debian stable, the one with
the broken gcc the debian people refuse to fix; I'm also using my
machine as a wireless gateway.  I'm using a cisci aironet 350 PCI card
under 2.4.19.

 When using the same hardware under intel, I didn't have the problem. I
do have the problem under alpha.  Occasionally the card wil
dis-associate form the AP, and will not find it again until a reboot. I
would like to upgrade to 2.6, but the gcc Debian supplied fails to
compile it. I can't very well compile myself a new gcc with a screwy
gcc, and as i said the debian people refuse to fix their gcc under
stable, even though bug pr9164 (a 64 bit bug) is present, and has
rendered roughly half the apps on the system broken.

 Has anyone experienced wireless troubles like this before, and found a
workaround that does not require a reboot? I have been running X orr the
alpha onto my sparc 5, and i'm pretty sick of losing my session every
time i have to reboot to regain connectivity.