Other distros (was RE: Waxing Philosophical)

Rob B rbyrnes at mailshack.com
Fri Oct 1 03:50:22 UTC 2004

At 01:58 AM 1/10/2004, Donsbach, Jeff wrote:

>Mike Barnes wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:35:23 -0400, Davis Johnson <davis at frizzen.com>
>wrote:
> >> My current windmill to tilt at is simultaniously/in parallel building
>
> >> linux-from-scratch ( http://www.linuxfromscratch.org ) on i386. alpha
>
> >> and sparc32. I'm rolling my own scripts as I go. I've got ppc  and
> >> mips machines that need miscelanious bits of kit.
> >
> > I've thought about that on several occasions. Don't think I've got the
>patience for Linux from Scratch, > though. :) The one I've got my eye on
>as an interesting system, and which I may try building on Alpha at >
>some point, is Gobo Linux. Their site is at http://www.gobolinux.org/,
>but it's frequently down.
>
>Thanks for the pointers. I'll check them out (boy, the Gobolinux site is
>really slow!)
>
>I've become a Gentoo fan myself.
<snip>

>In fact, if anyone wants to give it a go, there is a new Gentoo LiveCD
>for Alpha that needs some more testing. See here -
>http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=221670 . Post your results in
>the forum if it works for you.

Just to throw my hat in on this .. I actually use FreeBSD on my Alphas now,
stopped using Linux about three years ago (and to tell the truth, I can't
recall why I changed).  However, I still remain signed up to all the Linux
distro mailing lists that support the Alpha arch, mainly because of the
sense of community that the arch has as a whole.  This thread is an example
of that :)

cheers,
rob

--
He can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

This is random quote 558 of 1264.

Distance from the centre of the brewing universe
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian

Public Key fingerprint = 6219 33BD A37B 368D 29F5  19FB 945D C4D7 1F66 D9C5