All this Fedora business...

Jeff A. jeff.abell at intnlsoftwareproducts.com
Sun Oct 3 11:16:47 UTC 2004

I've got very, very little knowledge of Linux and these REAL computers, but
I've been trying to pick out bits and pieces from all the mails...

Is this "Fedora" software THE thing I should run?  I have a 164SX with a 533
21164PC, using the AlphaBIOS.  Of course I've run NT4, but the only other
thing I've been able to get to work (somewhat) is SuSE 8.1... not quite
right, either.

There doesn't seem to be any way to boot straight from power up through to
the SuSE OS without some kind of work-around.  I managed to figure out how
to install the MILO on the IDE drive with WinNT, and only ONCE did I ever
accidently manage to get it to boot from a MILO prompt into Linux off a hard
drive.  I had renamed a whole bunch of files to other names and somehow
something worked, but then the OS got fudged due to me fudging about.  The
only way I've managed to work is once the OS is installed, I can boot the
install DVD, back out of the install, and tell the installation menu to boot
the installed OS.  It doesn't seem to matter how I partition in setup, boot
partition or not, etc... and when linux is up and running, the bootloader
part of YaST never does ANYTHING.  It's blank.

I recently switched to SCSI because the IDE was infuriatingly pathetic... (I
noticed someone else comment on that once)

The other queeriosity is that when I install, the setup comes back with
random "bad magic" errors on generally random packages, and depending on
which ones are messed up and how badly, sometimes I can't get far enough
along to re-run the setup and have it fix itself.  What does this mean???
Doesn't matter if it's an install from DVD or FTP, same crap.

Is there any *step-by-step for retards* on how to PROPERLY install?  I'm not
exactly a genius... you know the type - Windows + x86.  I can generally
stumble my way around Linux, and while I do have a fully functional SGI
Octane, all this UNIX type, actual computer stuff is beyond me at the
moment.

>From what I can gather, I should be using this SRM console anyway...

Any help would be appreciated!  I love my Alpha in its penguin case... so
cute... so *not quite* powerful.

JA

(I have a "real" 533 Alpha chip as well... what kind of machine would be
recommended as the best home for this?)
(These do not work right with the 164SX - Promise Ultra 66, Savage IX,
GF4MX... heheheheh)