All this Fedora business...

Jeff A. jeff.abell at intnlsoftwareproducts.com
Tue Oct 5 11:38:52 UTC 2004

I'm just looking for the most useful and versatile system to run... since I'm still learning all this, I don't mind running unproven software as long as I'm getting aquainted with the way linux works.  If there is a step-by-step, take-you-by-the-hand method that even the most braindead of Quadra photoshoppers could successfully complete, I'd love to see it.  I'm just hesitant to download 5 CDS of Fedora if there's no basic, basic instructions.

I think I remember someone saying that by going the SRM route, you sacrifice the ability to use the onboard IDE for the 164SX.  Is this so?  That would really stink.  I like being able to use an ATAPI DVD drive for installing things because I can use a DVD-RW instead of CDs or FTP.  It certainly made life a lot easier with the constant retries of SuSE 8.1.

Also, I'll toss up another hardware comment... 8MB All-in-Wonder Pro doesn't seem to do anything in the 164 board.  Wheeee!  I've basically stuck to this:

512MB Ram
4 MB Millennium 2
Znyx 314 4x10Mbit
Some LSI SCSI card
SB Vibra 16s - works under SuSE as long as you set the PNP mode OFF.

The Matrox Millennium 1&2 cards are absolutely fantastic.  How many years later, and they're still working with everything under the sun? :-)  DLink 530TX worked fine, Xpert at Work, Matrox Mystique...  The other thing with the Mystique and Millennium cards is that you can use those big-ass SGI 22" monitors with them at high resolution as long as you enable sync on green in the options.  I can't stress enough how much I love those old Matrox cards!

I also could not get a WinTV or a Zoltrix TV tuner to work under SuSE 8.1... trying to run the TV program would result in a solid system lock after one frame of garbage channel tune.

JA

  Perhaps. In the past I've frequently recomended Red Hat (now the baseline Fedora stared from) to try Linux on Intel. I've never tried SuSE. I've had realy bad fights with the Debian installer before. The down side to Fedora is that the set of ISOs that just rolled out the door is new. You might want to wait a week or two. The upside is that you have the ear of the developers here in a way that you wouldn't have on intel.

Is there any *step-by-step for retards* on how to PROPERLY install?  I'm not
exactly a genius... you know the type - Windows + x86.  I can generally
stumble my way around Linux, and while I do have a fully functional SGI
Octane, all this UNIX type, actual computer stuff is beyond me at the
moment.
  Personaly I'd pick another title. I find that writing end user documentation is a lot like programming. With a program the machine is the final judge of weather the instructions you give it "work" or not. With documentation the user is the judge, and each user brings a different background to bear. Instalation instructions are invarably untested on a person exactly like you, on hardware just like yours. That doesn't make you a retard. Expect some difficulties, expect to overcome them.

  No, I didn't answer that last question, did I?