Digital PWS433au + Matrox G450 PCI

Jay Estabrook jay.estabrook at hp.com
Fri Oct 8 19:40:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 08:19:49PM -0600, Buck Rekow wrote:

> anyone ever had luck with ATI rage cards?

Yes, or rather, with an ATI Rage 128 card, as that was the first card
available to me that had 3D support in XFree86 AND was acceptable to
the SRM console (at least on machines newer than PC164).

> my PC164 won't boot with one..

I'm not too surprised, if you are using SRM console. Its BIOS emulator
was pretty limited.

However, I HAVE had good luck on a PC164 running from ARC/MILO with an
ATI Rage 128 (and maybe a Radeon), as well as a Voodoo3 3000, AND
getting the 3D support in RH 7.2 for Alpha to function. The PC164 is
the only "sparse" Alpha that I've been able to get 3D to work on,
although I may not have tried others under MILO...

So, you need to decide whether SRM or 3D is more important to you... ;-}

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com