AC-0.9 Testing Results (was: Re: Alpha Core ISO Images)

Arkadiy Chapkis - Arc achapkis at dls.net
Mon Oct 18 17:50:53 UTC 2004

>I'll try to unearth a Virge here and see if it fails in other boxes
>as well.

  Sounds good to me, I can do some testing while I have this box sitting next
to me.

>> The graphics is not a big deal, but what is bothering me is inability to use
>> fdisk to partition (if I do that from console 2, I have to way to use that
___________________________________________________________^^________________
should be "no". Meaning I cannot use that partition table made with fdisk.
Unless I maybe do it after disk druid, but I think the installer mounts them
right after partitioning. And the problem is a lack of option "Use the existing
partition table".

>> partition table). I believe disk druid puts BSD labels by default, but as I'm
>> using MILO, I don't want it.
>
>I think you're right about Disk Druid forcing BSD labels.
>
>However, you MAY be able to access fdisk from a different VC before
>Disk Druid gets called, and certainly fdisk DOES support creating
>DOS-style partition tables. Only problem might be if DD does NOT...
>
>>   As I tried SRM on this box before, it reported my SCSI CDROM 7
>>   times. ARC doesn't do this. I know it's not a SCSI ID problem,
>>   because I tried setting it to different SCSI IDs with no effect.
>
>If it was SRM that had the problem with the SCSI CD, it may be related
>to termination of the SCSI bus. I've never seen that problem here; was
>it the original SCSI CD that came with the box? Had you done anything
>to add devices to the bus?

  Yes, it's not the original, but it's on the same bus as the disk. It's been 4
years since I added it and at that time SRM was having troubles seeing CDROM.
Tried ARC and it was OK. Naturally I stuck with that.

                                      Arc C.
                                      achapkis at dls.net