AC-0.9 Testing Results

Buck Rekow rekow at bigskytel.com
Wed Oct 20 18:23:47 UTC 2004

Davis Johnson wrote:

> Buck Rekow wrote:
>
>> Someone want to help build slack ten for alpha?

> Absolutly.
>
> I've been running Slackware on Intel since it installed somthing like
> a 1.2.9 kernel. I've been running the, now abandoned, Slackware Alpha
> port on my Alpha all along.
>
> Arround Slackware 9.0 things started to get a bit too far behind for
> me, and  some packages were just missing from the Alpha port. I
> started rebuilding packages for Alpha, and doing piecemeal
> replacements on my system. I got to the point where I had a good
> percentage of the A, AP and D sets rebuilt. Of course what I realy
> wanted to do is rebuild the entire distribution. I began to run into
> problems with build order for some packages, particularly involving
> shared libraries.
>
> While researching the build order issues and particularly how to get
> glibc rebuilt and in use I found Linux From Scratch (LFS). LFS has a
> roadmap for how to build a temporary toolchain and rebuild a
> distribution from source.
>
> My current plan is to follow the LFS roadmap but with Slackware 10
> sources and Slackbuild scripts. I currently have the temporary tool
> chain built and am getting ready to start building packages. Once I
> have a critical mass of packages I'll start working on the instalation
> ramdisk.
>
> It is interesting to note that the Slackware 10 Slackbuild scripts are
> much more portable.

which alpha are you on?  i've got a broadband connected 164 ready to
compile.

you actually managed to find slack alpha?

i've run slack since release 3.? with kernel 1.2.13.

I've got debian on both my alphas, and all it really succeeds in doing
is ticking me off. can't get ccc or cxx to work.. about half the
packages are broken and the gcc 2.95.3 supplied is broken.

it may be high time to fix a few slackware annoyances  with  this.. like
the daylight savings time bug, where it changes the time, but resets to
the previous setting after reboot. Or the fact that all of the client
and server packages for software are bundled together. i don't like
installing a copy of ntpd on my machine if all i want to do is sync off
an ntp server.  Or the classic "hit ctrl+d to continue with normal
startup" and then the damn thing reboots.

 I've also found a more efficient way to load rc.modules. have it in a
directory by kernel version so now you can have multiple kernels with no
modtroubles. so instead of loading etc/rc.d/rc.modules it loads
/etc/rc.d/`uname -r`/rc.modules ...i think that's how i did it...

hey, if we get this thing to work, we might even see about an iso. Also,
do you know anyone who can write slackbuild scripts or make slack
packages? there was a howto at one time, but it really didn't say much.
there are some packages distinctly missing from slackware. like libnet,
and arping for instance, and in the alpha ver, it may make sense to see
if we can build an installer for ccc and cxx that works.   I've also
been toying with the idea of possibly rendering the whole thing as a set
of .debs so one can dist-upgrade to slackware.

now.. does anyone here write shellscripts for rc?