Largest IDE hard drive supported by internal connector

Richard Irving rirving at antient.org
Thu Sep 16 03:01:48 UTC 2004

Ted Goodridge, Jr. wrote:

>> 2GB I believe
>>
>  I'm seeing a lot of drives on ebay listed as 2.1Gig...could you narrow
> down that limit better?  (Advertised sizes don't always equal bios sizes)
>
> Ted

    I could be in error, but the Alpha 5003/1200 based Bioses only
could understand 4 gig partitions... even on SCSI.

   The IDE -could- be 2, but I know the -SCSI- in the AlphaBIOS
was limited to 4 Gig. I tried to use ARC to format a 9.1 GB drive...

  No go. I had to use the DAC i960 + RCU to do the job.

Just an FYI.

  BTW: I have more 4.x Gig U-W-2 SCSI drives than you could shake
a stick at... accepting offers. :)

   I only have about -20- or so....

   :O