Something Resembling a Roadmap

Richard Irving rirving at antient.org
Thu Sep 16 03:24:54 UTC 2004

Mike Barnes wrote:
> Carmen is getting discontinued fairly soon. Its purpose has been
> served, which was to be a base to build an actual distribution on.
> Last night, I installed a new system from scratch off a set of CDs. It
> ran pretty much perfectly, and booted up at the end of it. Haven't
> gone much further than that, but it's looking promising. We have a
> test release.

  Yeah!

> The new build, which actually identifies itself as "Alpha Core"
> instead of "Fedora Core", is Juni (yes, still on the Spy Kids binge -
> blame my daughter). It's mostly the same as Carmen, but with all the
> updates and a couple of extra packages. A few have been dropped, due
> to dependency issues. They may or may not be worked back in.

    If they are, will they be the in 3D ?

    :P

> I'll be snail-mailing CD sets to a few people with bandwidth in the
> next day or so, and we'll get the test images available as soon as
> possible. A few notes on the release follow.
>
> 1) Upgrades from RedHat 7.2 are not supported. Clean install, or nothing.
>
> 2) Upgrades from the "Carmen" release may work, but should be done via
> yum, once we've got things hosted somewhere. The packages are about
> 95% identical.

   I'll volunteer to take the hosting hit...

> 3) This is an interim release. It's versioned at 0.9 and should be
> treated as if even putting the CD _near_ a computer will blow up your
> house.

    Nothing new... Say, do the instructions say "read the -entire-
instruction manual first, before installing" and end with
"Do not install this on a running system... a running system
being defined as one that is plugged in, or powered on!"

   :P

  Deja Vu.

  (A Flashback to Vaxen days...)

> The vague, and subject to revision, roadmap is below. Nothing is dated
> yet, since it's all dependent on free time being available. There's
> some scope left in the version numbers ofr  afew releases before 1.0,
> but I don't think it'll go that far.
>
> 0.90 (Juni): Installable ISO version. Based on Carmen tree, mostly
> identical. We're at this point now. Interim release to test on a
> variety of hardware.
>
> 0.91: Proper shakedown after initial release. Test to make sure
> upgrades from previous distributions can work, tweak where necessary
> based on issues reported on 0.90. Finalise package list additions and
> removals. Define the distribution. Remove Fedora-sepcific artwork and
> references.
>
> 0.92: Released when self-hosting - the entire distribution will be
> rebuilt under itself. Will include EV6, and possibly EV67 optimised
> packages for glibc and openssl. Update most packages to Fedora Core 3
> release equivalents.
>
> 1.0: I can dream, can't I?

    You may live to realize that dream, it just so happens some
very close friends of mine, are the operators/perpetrators
of Progeny/Debian..

    I may lend them time on a Tincup Rawhide edition, and possibly
a 1000A:5/333 to help realize this dream... that, and buy the beer.

    :)

   "Old Alpha's never die, they just keep getting hotter."