Largest IDE hard drive supported by internal connector

Ted Goodridge, Jr. tedgoodridgejr at acm.org
Thu Sep 16 12:55:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:33:16 -0400, Davis Johnson <davis at frizzen.com>
wrote:

> I rather suspect that larger disks will work just fine,  but that you
> will need to keep anything that the bios needs to access, that is
> anything needed at boot time, close enough to the front of the disk for
> the bios to find.

That makes absolutely no sense.  The kernel and ide driver get the disk
geometry from the bios.  The only way around it is a bios-extender which I
don't think exists for linux let alone alpha.  The bios tells the OS how
to access the disk.  What you are describing is a lilo issue, which
requires the boot part be on the first X# of the disk.

Ted