Largest IDE hard drive supported by internal connector

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Sun Sep 19 19:41:50 UTC 2004

With regards to your message at 01:22 PM 9/19/04, Ted Goodridge, Jr.. Where
you stated:
>So I guess it comes down to this...I can put in a 30 gig 2.5 IDE hard
>drive, use the special cable from Maurice, and boot from AlphaBios and
>milo with a small boot partition?  Is that correct?

Almost. The IDE drive can be as big as you want.
The largest they currently make are 100GB, and the BIOD firmware supports
128GB drives in address space, but only a 2GB partition for booting from.
Linux will use the remaining space quite happily.

When selecting a 2.5" drive I recommend looking at the speed.
Most low power drives are 4,500rpm, with 5400 and the odd 7200rpm model out
there.

Best bang for $ is generally a 40 or 60GB, 5400rpm model.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3