Alpha Core ISO Images

Jay Estabrook jay.estabrook at hp.com
Tue Sep 28 20:04:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 12:51:53AM +1000, Mike Barnes wrote:

> Compares very well with the development system, then. I've got a
> Radeon 7000 in mine. Runs quite nicely. Tuxracer looks good. :)

You'd be amazed at how much better a 7500 is; and a 9100 is even better!
Biggest problem is finding the PCI versions... :-\

> I've had a terrible time with using IDE disks on the Miata, but this
> is nothing new. SCSI works perfectly. We've also have an LX164 board
> up and running.

I've none with IDE disks installed at the moment, but IDE CDROM does
just fine...

> We really need to confirm if the SMP kernel actually works. If
> anyone's got an SMP Alpha system, I'd appreciate a report.

SMP does NOT work, at least on my DS20 (UP kernel is fine).
Below is a partial log of the boot messages, picking up just before
the first obvious error message. Seems to be module-related...

>> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
>> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
>> Red Hat nash vermodule scsi_mod: Relocation overflow vs section 22
>> sion 3.5.22 starsd_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_device_get
>> ting
>> Mounted /psd_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_wait_req
>> roc filesystem
>> sd_mod: Unknown symbol scsicam_bios_param
>> Mounting sysfs
>> sd_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_block_when_processing_errors
>> .ko module
>> insmsd_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_ioctl
>
> I'll pop the current SRPM up sometime in the next few hours. The one
> sitting in the Carmen tree at
> ftp://ftp.maths.monash.edu.au/pub/carmen/ should be almost identical,
> though. Check the configs bundled in that. Tweaks to the kernel config
> would be great to get back. It's a pretty basic setup modelled mostly
> on the current x86 defaults right now.

OK, the kernel will make LEGACY_START_ADDRESS known in its messages if
it is configured, and this one does, so the current install kernel
will NOT work on DS15/DS25/ES45/MARVEL.

But it SHOULD work on MILO machines... :-) :-)

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com