Alpha Core 0.9

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 08:37:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:49:32 -0500, Richard Irving <rirving at antient.org> wrote:
>    I am jealous, as the 5300 of which I spoke, (not 5003 as posted)
> can't make it. I think that is because these kernels are being compiled on
> newer CPU's than we (at least I) expect.

What's the CPU type in the 5300? I've booted the current kernel on an
old AlphaStation 200, but nothing much before that. I know it's OK on
EV5, EV56 and EV6.

>   Mine made it past bootstrap, aboot, and into the kernel for about 4 lines,
> or so, and wham...

You might see some more enlightening information if you remove the
"quiet" parameter from the aboot.conf line for the kernel you're
booting.

Actually - is that when booting the install CD, or after installation?
The install CD and the final installation should be using exactly the
same kernel. Might be something else setting it off.