Alpha Core ISO Images

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:37:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:00:42 -0400, Jay Estabrook <jay.estabrook at hp.com> wrote:
> Because the TITAN boxes and Wildfire/Marvel have really BIG console
> footprints (8MB or more, as contrasted to 2MB on older machines),
> those MUST have the kernel starting up beyond the console. The higher
> start address causes great pain on MILO machines, as it conflicts with
> where MILO itself lives...

Just clarify one thing for me - is this an issue on all older Alpha
systems, or just those using MILO/AlphaBIOS for booting? If the system
is running SRM, can we get by?

I've hardly touched AlphaBIOS myself, and never used MILO.

> When we (internally) respun RH 7.2 for Alpha and made it work on MILO
> machines much more gracefully, we had to have 2 kernels: one for MILO
> machines (ie LEGACY_START_ADDRESS=y), and one for all the others.
>
> This is not really a problem, since we can ALWAYS boot the alternate
> for all SRM machines (via aboot.conf) and the MILO one via milo.conf,
> so long as those are appropriately set up.

Sounds reasonable. We just flat don't have a MILO setup right now. Not
sure how much demand for one there is, either. Anyone? Which machines
out there don't have SRM as an option?

My PWS with the dodgy battery sounds like a good test candidate ...
it's annoying to have to keep resetting to SRM every time I need to
boot it.