Waxing Philosophical

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Thu Sep 30 01:35:23 UTC 2004

Mike Barnes wrote:

>What is it about the Alpha that's got me doing this? Why spend twelve
>months compiling, tweaking, hunting down patches and clues to build a
>system on this platform when I could go out, spend a couple of hundred
>dollars on a PC, and just download and install a recent Fedora Core
>build?

I can't tell you why you do it. I can tell you a bit about why I do.

I can remember professionals who truly believed that if it wasn't a 360
decendent it wasn't a computer.

I've met programmers who thought that portability meant running on
RT/11, RSX/11 and RSTS.

I can remember when "All the world's a VAX" wasn't a joke - people
believed it.

And now we have Windows on Intel -- I don't think I need to elaborate.

I beleive that you don't really know computers if all you know is one
platform and operating system. I want to actualy know computers. Part of
this is because I've seen plenty of folks left high and dry when one of
the world views I listed above ended. The rest is because I want to know
computers for my own satisfaction.

Linux on Alpha is reasonably different from Windows on Intel.

I want to do somthing that has some chalenge and sophistication to it.
Somthing to stretch my brain muscles.

My current windmill to tilt at is simultaniously/in parallel building
linux-from-scratch ( http://www.linuxfromscratch.org ) on i386. alpha
and sparc32. I'm rolling my own scripts as I go. I've got ppc  and mips
machines that need miscelanious bits of kit.

Alpha may be the last archetecture designed by an actual computer
company. It is definatly the last one designed by a particular computer
company.

If you want to work on intel you are only one little fish in a big sea.
Ask the wrong question in the wrong place and you either get flamed or
ignored. I can come here and ask dumb questions and get good, respectful
answers.

And Alpha is cool.