aboot not working or something

Bryan Dina bdina at seresc.net
Mon Apr 4 14:58:43 UTC 2005

I am installing AlphaCore 0.9 on an AlphaStation 200 4/166.  The install
seemed to go okay, 2 things to note, I received a warning when
partitioning the drive, I went with auto-partition for ease in
installation, it warned about /boot not having enough space.  The next
problem happened when performing the post-installation, the system hung
at 50% for an extended period of time, I switched virtual-terminals and
ran top to notice modprobe was running, in a loop incrementing the
pid... at about 25% CPU... I assumed it was continually invoking to
probe "devices" I guess.. anyway, that finally finished, and I went to
boot the system, no-go.  I figured that something messed up with aboot,
possible related to the partitioning warning.... however I do not know
anything about aboot.... so I am trying to learn.  I have booted back
off the CD into rescue, I have the installed system mounted... any
ideas???

--Bryan