aboot not working or something

Bryan Dina bdina at seresc.net
Mon Apr 4 20:05:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 23:05 +0400, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
> Bryan Dina wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 21:12 +0400, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:

> >>To use "autopartitioning" was a bad idea. :) Unfortunatelly, it is
> >>know-how how to install linux on alpha using aboot loader.
> >>You have to partition your drive manually using "fdisk" from one of
> >>consoles. You have to leave some free space at the beginning of hard
> >>drive for aboot loader. Good practice to create a first partition from
> >>the second cylinder.
> >>Another thing to mention - fdisk should create BSD type partition table.
> >>

> >Hmm, disk druid will not play nicely with me, I cannot seem to offset
> >the /boot partition for the aboot software at the beginning of the disk.
> >I also can not seem to even create an "empty" space on the drive
> >anywhere...
> >

> You have to switch to shell prompt and use "fdisk" command just before
> disk partitioning (not disk druid).
> In fdisk, you have to use "bsd" mode. If your disk is partitioned with
> DOS partition table type - you would have to
> delete everything, then create new bsd disklabel (you might need to
> clean zero out first drive sector), then create partitions.
>
> >any help would be greatly appreciated... I am not new to Linux, just
> >Linux on the Alpha.
> >

> Well, there are some specifics. :)

unfortunately this is not working, I have been reading through the
documentation and feel embarrassed to say that I have read in the
installation notes what you are explaining to do.  I am having problems
getting Disk Druid to recognize the fdisk partitions.... it complains
that the disk info can not be recognized and wants to initialize the
disk before continuing.  If I do not initialize the disk, it restarts on
me, if I do, it erases the disk.  I check with fdisk and the disk
partitions have been removed.  When I start over with fdisk, I create
two partitions to keep it simple for now (the machine is slow so making
errors is not fun), one ext2, and one swap.  I then use "w" to write the
table(s), and quit fdisk.  I then swap back over to the installer,
select Disk Druid, and again, it complains and wants to re-initialize
the disk.  I reboot, and try again with out re-initializing, and again,
it complains.... what now???  I really would like to install Linux on
this machine! :)

--Bryan