aboot not working or something

Dialup Jon Norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Mon Apr 4 21:50:09 UTC 2005

To Bryan & list:

IMHO the Disk Druid and auto-partition are a lttle shaky on RH 7.2 as well as
AC0.9.

I had problems similar to yours .. one thing that worked pretty well for me
was to use Disk Druid to delete all partitions on a disk that had a
pre-existing Linux setup (I've done this on an upgrade from 7.2 with a new
install of AC; a fesh install beginning with the Copmaq "jumpstart" disk; and
with an originally blank disk that I formatted during a failed AC install)

Back to it, you then create new partitions.  The Druid will give you the option to

"start at sector .. end at sector" Begin at sector 1 instead of 0 for your
first partition.  This should be the /boot partition, and should be at least
75-80 setors.  Use the format option for all partitions.

Once you have an install done and complete, you will then find often as not
that  the installer failed to write a workable "aboot.conf" file and SRM will
be unable to boot the install.  The fix is pretty easy using your install CD
in rescure mode, or booting from the rescue floppy you made before exiting the
install procedure.

good luck

jn