aboot not working or something

Michal Jaegermann michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca
Tue Apr 5 00:22:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 05:08:18PM -0400, Bryan Dina wrote:

> It seems I am seeing some inconsistencies here... I don't see any ways
> to switch fdisk to BSD mode,

Once you will start fdisk then its says immediately "m for help"
or something like that.  If you will do press 'm' then you will see
among other things:

    b   edit bsd disklabel

Well ....

To erase an old partition table (a good idea) you can do

   dd if=/dev/zero count=2 > /dev/sda (or whatever your boot disk
                                       device happens to be).

either from a text console during an installation or after you
booted into a "rescue" mode.

DiskDruid will accept an existing partition table, even if this is of a
BSD type, but it may get confused if you have some lefovers of an old
MS-DOS type partition table.  If you will ask to partition it will write
a table of the second kind and a firmware on your machine does not know
how to deal with it.  For non-boot disks you may use one or another
partitioning.  Linux does not care.

Unfortunately if you will change a partition table then your best bet is
to redo the whole installation from scratch.  In some circumstances it
is possible to manipulate these tables well enough to get your
installation either intact or just in a need of some small adjustments.
But if you have to ask how to do that then you better not try that at
home.

   Michal