aboot not working or something

Michal Jaegermann michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca
Tue Apr 5 02:53:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 08:45:04PM -0400, bdina at seresc.net wrote:

> unfortunately when I said that my fdisk has no "b" to switch to bsd
> disklabel, it really does not, I had used "m" for help, and it is not
> listed.

I cannot check that at this moment but it somehow hard to believe
that 'fdisk' you got on  AC-0.9 CDs is unable to write disklabels.
As a matter of fact 'b' is really a regular facility for a Linux
fdisk even if it is not used that often on a given platform.  I just
looked on x86 and x86_64 installations and surely enough it is
there.

> also I have heard of a core 1.0, mine is 0.9...

AFAIK there are no installation CDs for 1.0a yet; just a bunch
of packages.  This may change pretty soon.

> Im a fairly certain I have not written MS-DOS type partitions... fdisk does
> always report it starts in BSD disklabel.

Maybe that is a reason that 'b' is then turned off?  In any case if
you are printing partition tables then printouts for both types are
quite distinct so it is hard to take one for another.  If you do have
disklabel and you left unpartioned space at a disk start for aboot
then you are set.  /etc/aboot.conf is only a convenience.  You can
boot with '-fl i' and type whatever you desire at aboot prompt which
will then show up. /etc/aboot.conf can be added later.

   Michal