AlphaPC 164LX & SRM (again)

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Wed Apr 6 16:00:10 UTC 2005

Jay Estabrook wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 07:19:11PM +0400, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
>

>>I could flash .rom file from AlphaBIOS update - it reads the file and
>>tells me that it is SRM ... blah, blah ...
>>It flashes it, but then I try to reboot - it goes to loop saying about
>>machine check.
>>I found a safe way - use safe boot loader to load SRM .rom file from the
>>floppy (this is how I restored my AlphaBIOS - thanks Digital). It works
>>only if I leave only video card ("show config", "show *" commands give
>>correct info).
>>

>Interesting...
>
>So, if you take OUT the NCR825, it appears to work better, ie without
>the machine checks?

Yep. But the same NCR has been working in my AlphaStation 200 for years.
I tried to access floppy (like boot from it) without NCR installed - and
got machine check again. :(

>Wonder what that means... ;-}
>
>I think it means you should try another SCSI controller. Any chance?

I have Adaptec 2940, but as far as I know it is (was) not supported by SRM.

>>Is my machine capable of running SRM by design? (I hope so)
>>

>Yes, but its FLASH can only hold ONE image, either SRM or AlphaBIOS.

Yes, I know that.

>>Unfortunatelly, PAL code in MILO is missing support for oprofile. :(
>>

>Yes, the MILO PALcode is inferior in a number of ways to SRM, so it is
>best if you can get there...

Ok, I will try one more time.

Thank you for help,

--