AlphaPC 164LX & SRM (again)

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Fri Apr 15 05:01:05 UTC 2005

Sergey Tikhonov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Jay Estabrook wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:20:52AM +0400, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
>>

>>>Could be the following message in /var/log/messages:
>>>kernel: pci: passed pte write cache snoop test
>>>kernel: pci: failed valid tag invalid pte reload test (mcheck;
>>>workaround enabled)
>>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>kernel: pci: tbia workaround enabled
>>>
>>>give an explanation of the problem I have with SRM on my LX164 machine?
>>>

>>Somewhat unlikely, as that's a message that one sees on any LX; it
>>indicates a weakness of the PYXIS core-logic chipset used there (it
>>also shows up on MIATAs).
>>

> I tried to disconnect SCSI controller (actually I just disconnected
> scsi disk) and try to boot from ide disks.
> The SRM loaded without problems.
> Linux started to complain about dma problems and lost interrupt during
> ide initialization and hang on initialization of
> ncr825 adapter. Could it shed some lights on why SRM could crash when
> scsi disk is connected and srm is trying to reset scsi bus? Same
> problem when it tries to access floppy.
> I am supprised how different srm and alphabios in terms of
> initializing and handling of the same hardware.
> May be there is some undocumented command that I could use to switch
> off srm turbo mode? :)
>
> Thank you,
>
> PS. The memory I am using is:
>
>     * Manufactured to the highest standards by MSC
>       <http://www.msc-ge.com/e/wir/index.html>
>     * Hyundai RAM chips
>     * SPD - allows the BIOS to detect the memory type
>     * Gold Pins - high quality
>     * 3.3V
>     * Double Sided - 18 chips (9 per side)
>     * Unbuffered memory (/_not_/ registered)
>     * 16MB x 72 organisation
>
> as required by docs.

I do not know that this is the problem, but a few years ago we tried
some MSC RAM for UP2000+ and could not get it to work.
They claimed it was made to the specs stated.
Perhaps so, but then Alphas can be a bit fussy about RAM.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.  FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3

This email, message, and content, should be considered confidential,
and is the copyrighted property of Hard Data Ltd., unless stated otherwise.