cards and several messages

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Wed Jan 5 16:10:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 02:32:42PM -0700, Buck Rekow wrote:

> I have some cards here I may look at installing, and i'd like to know if
> anyone has any of these working on pc164 with srm 5.5.whatever (latest
> release for my platform)
>
> for video I have
> Rage128 pro -16 meg (doubt it will work)

Rage 128 (non-Pro) does NOT work.

> Fire GL 1000 Pro

This appears to be a Permedia-2 based card, which should work.

> Fire GL 3000 Pro (crashy under X in debian stable)

This appears to be a GLINT 500 TX based card, which may have problems;
I think I had one of these, and it worked (unstably) as you observed.

Permedia-3 based cards should also work, as the 3DLabs VX1 (32MB) is
one that has been sold with Alpha and Linux. I just tried one of these
on my PC164 and it seemed fine...

> For scsi I have
> Installed adaptec 2985 three channel 50 pin scsi card, srm doesn't see
> it, so I boot of a really crappy ide disk

I believe that the PC164 SRM (V5.5) did NOT support ANY Adaptec
controllers.

> (just got this out of an intergraph)
> an LSI Logic symbios sym8952u (53c895) which *may* run under SRM (I hope)

Nope, the 895 won't be recognized by SRM.

An 875 will work with SRM, though.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com