cards and several messages

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 7 21:20:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Jay Estabrook wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:10:25PM -0500, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Kurt A. Ludwig wrote:
> >
> > > IIRC SRM supported the 895's but Tru64/ DU wouldnt unless it had the
> > > correct ROM chip on it. 875's worked in both but without the ROM chip
> > > complained about 'unsupported chipset'. It's been a while since I played
> > > with Alpha (2002 time frame) but this is what I remember from back then.
> >
> > That's true; SRM does understand the 895.  I'd love to get my hands on an
> > EPROM image for a compatible 895 adapter...
>
> I think it'd be more accurate to say that only *SOME* SRMs understand
> the 895. The issues that determine presence of support are, I believe:
>
> 1. what controllers were available at the time, and
> 2. what controllers were to be sold in the box at the time.
>
> For the original system in question, AlphaPC164 (21164A + CIA-2), the
> SRM most likely never supported 895 because it was too new at the time
> the last SRM version (V5.5) was built for it.
>
> A number of other NCR controllers, ie 815 and 825 to name a couple,
> were never supported by any SRM because there was no intention of ever
> selling them, I believe.

In my case, I am running a UP2000+ with SRM 5.8.  SRM seems to handle the
895 just fine, correctly identifying the chip and all attached devices.
Tru64 5.1B panics at boot, however.  I cannot seem to find any common or
reasonably priced U2W or U160 controller which is supported by Tru64 on
this platform.

Steve