GigE on ES4x servers

Gary Molenkamp gary at sharcnet.ca
Wed Jun 1 12:52:04 UTC 2005

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here...

I currently have about 84 ES40's in an existing HPC cluster runniing RH7.2
that use the DEGPA-SA fiber gigE cards.  Other than the usual issues with
the acenic driver they work quite well.

I now have the fortune of inheriting another 32 ES40s from another
department but they do not have any GigE cards (just 10/100).  I could
probably get 32 more of the DEGPA cards but they are terribly expensive at
about 200-300 a piece and fiber ports on our switches are not cheap
either.  Are there any reliable and relatively inexpensive copper based
GigE cards that work on the ES40s?  (or is this a non-issue?)

--
Gary Molenkamp			SHARCNET
Systems Administrator		University of Western Ontario