installing on sx164

Bojan ÿffff8aernek sinergitized at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 09:08:04 UTC 2005

Okay, after some pondering, I've decided to install AC
to my dusty old sx164. This machine is also quite
weird in that it boots normally on power on, but if
you power cycle it, it doesn't work anymore ... you
need to leave it powered off for a few minutes, then
it works, again. Any pointers as to what could be
wrong, or estimates on how long this alpha will still
work?

Here's my check list of what to do:

* flash the AlphaBIOS to SRM
  I presume you downlod from
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/archive/alphapc164sx.html
and download this one :
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/archive/alphapc164sx/sx164_v5_8.exe,
then rename it to fwupdate.exe and write it down to a
diskette.

* show dev in SRM

* boot (cdrom device) in SRM

* install linux normally (but have disks partitioned
using BSD disklabel not DOS. And make the first real
partition begin 1 MB or so after the beginning of
disk).
  Can I presume that the installation program can do
this on it's own?

* install a boot loader somehow
  Can I presume that the installation program can do
this on it's own?

I have two SCSI drives on a cheaper Adaptec controller
and a CD drive on the IDE controller on the board.

Many Thanks,
Bojan.