AlphaCore Software Raid with SRM and BSD labels

Dave Mason dmason at sarg.ryerson.ca
Fri Jun 3 13:45:38 UTC 2005

I started doing the disk partitioning, with software RAID1 and got to
the point of confirming when I got a message that (essentially) /boot
wasn't on a BSD partition, so it wouldn't boot with SRM.

So I did a 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda' and rebooted.

So this time the disk druid created a BSD partition table... but when
I choose the RAID option it lets me do everything until I click OK,
when it says:

   Could not allocate requested partitions: requested
   FileSystemType needs a flag that is not available.

So, after reading the pointers here, I used fdisk on the text console,
set up my partitions, and then continued to disk druid.  All the
partitions were marked as 'foreign', even though I'd set two of them
to hex 8 (ext2) (and the other one to hex fd, which I'd expected to
come in as foreign).  So I choose two of the partitions, edit them,
and set them to RAID; they show up as software raid, but when I choose
the RAID option, it doesn't see them!  If I instead choose the RAID
option to create a RAID partition, I get the message above about the
flag.

Am I screwed?

Thanks ../Dave

(P.S. and when I continue without raid, I get an exception after I've
clicked the "you need CD #1..." message.  The exception comes in
"/usr/lib/anaconda/iutil.py", line 55, in execWithRedirect
childpid=os.fork() and OSError: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory.
This even happens with a minimal install (this machine only has
128MB).  I'm going to try again on a machine with more memory.)