LVM with BSD disklabel

Helge Kreutzmann kreutzm at itp.uni-hannover.de
Mon Jun 6 19:18:59 UTC 2005

Hello,
On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 11:09:07AM +0200, Peter M. Groen wrote:
> like to do that again if it is possible to create a large disk of 27.3Gb with
> LVM. I've searched Google but couldn't find anything useful (to my opinion).

> Any hints or suggestions from someone on how to create this on an Alpha?
> Everytime I tried it during setup, it failed. It said it didn't have a free
> physical partition....

I never used RH on my alpha since 7.2, but under Debian I have used
LVM on alpha without problems. After talking with the Debin LVM guys,
I learned that the partition type really doesn't matter for LVM. I
recently confirmed this by putting the alpha disks into my amd64 box
and lvm was simply detected (despite BSD disk labels).

So you have to create the lvm partitions probably by hand. If you have
a shell this should not be a problem. If you really cannot convince
anaconda (if that is still the installation programm) to accept these,
you'll have to install into swap first, get lvm running, copy over
your system and continue from there. (And probably request lvm support
on FC/alpha).

Greetings

           Helge
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.           Helge.Kreutzmann at itp.uni-hannover.de