Fw: problem installing 5.7 on alpha

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Sat Jun 18 14:45:35 UTC 2005

I doubt it is a gcc problem.

The best clue is the "gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error"

I'd try different decompression options. Use -xvZf, -xvjf, -xvyf or even
-xvf. Note the first option has an upper case Z.

Check your man page for other decompression options.

It is possible that it was compressed with a utility your tar doesn't
understand. In that case you will need to decompress it with the
appropriate utility and then untar it.

For example, on solaris I am forever untaring archive.tar.Z  using two
commands:

uncompress archive.tar
tar -xvf archive.tar

Try running the file command on your tar file, it might tell you how it
is compressed.