Fw: problem installing 5.7 on alpha

Simon Tierney simon at conditional-fee.co.uk
Sun Jun 19 22:31:34 UTC 2005

Thanks very much guys, I tried each option and it turned out that the binary
was corrupt, so I now have an installation in /usr/local.

However, I cannot now get started because mysql_install_db --user=mysql says
"Neither host [name of machine].(rest of URL) nor 'localhost' could be
looked up with /bin/resolveip and exits.

I've checked the manual and tried --force option and skip grant & and
skip-grant-tables but nothing starts the server .

Does anyone know why resolveip isn't working or a solution?

I checked /etc/hosts and the hosts are in there and /etc/my.cnf doesn't have
an entry to edit for it...

Thanks for any help.