AC1 desktop - which mp3 player?

Michal Jaegermann michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca
Sun Jun 26 14:47:18 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 07:11:41AM -0400, bob smith wrote:
> yep, I wann be able to play mp3s while working on my AC1 alpha.
> the musicplayer tells me I have no MP3 plugin.
> It also does not give me any Hints as to where to get one.

Most likely you would have to recompile yourself one - which should
not be too complicated.  FC3 does not include mp3 support, courtesy
of the US legal system, and AC3 follows what it is done there.

> mpg123 would not be a concern ..  Any suggestions?

Look rather for mpg321.  You will find source packages, including
those for all underlying libraries, say here:

http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/4/x86_64/SRPMS.freshrpms/
http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/3/x86_64/SRPMS.freshrpms/

or here

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/

If something compiles on x86_64 this should not create serious
issues on Alpha.  These are defitely not the only places you can
look. A query on rpmfind.net

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=mpg321

reports 99 packages for that and PLD may even have Alpha binaries
(although if libraries used are close enough I cannot tell) even if
the only one Alpha reported on that list comes from Mandrake Cooker.
http://mpg321.sourceforge.net/ is the canonic location.

Maybe somebody did that job and has binary packages for AC3 ready?
I do not know.

   Michal