AlphaCore 0.9 slow on a xp1000

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Thu Mar 10 13:46:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 12:04:19AM +0000, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:

> I've finished installing AlphaCore 0.9 on a AlphaStation XP1000 to make
> some tests and everything is slow. Very slow indeed.
>
> This machine used to have a SuSE 8.1 install and it was as snappy as one
> can expect from this hardware, but AlphaCore just drags its feet everywhere.
>
> Ok, I haven't upgraded to 1.0a yet (still downloading), but I wanted to
> know if other people with this same hardware experienced the same thing.
>
> This box, together with an ES40 are used to crunch numbers, so every bit
> of performance is needed. If this is expected behaviour, I'll just
> revert back to the old install.

Yes, I, too, experienced the "sluggishness" of AC-0.9.

And, to this point, AC-1.0a has been much better, feeling a good bit
more responsive in interactive use.

But it still feels a bit "pokey" compared to the old RH 7.2.

I don't know if this is a compiler/library issue; if it IS, you might
be happier sticking with those you know for performance critical
reasons, at least until it shakes out a bit more...

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com