AlphaCore 0.9 slow on a xp1000

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Fri Mar 11 08:26:30 UTC 2005

Hello,

Jay Estabrook wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 12:04:19AM +0000, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
>

>>I've finished installing AlphaCore 0.9 on a AlphaStation XP1000 to make
>>some tests and everything is slow. Very slow indeed.
>>
>>This machine used to have a SuSE 8.1 install and it was as snappy as one
>>can expect from this hardware, but AlphaCore just drags its feet everywhere.
>>
>>Ok, I haven't upgraded to 1.0a yet (still downloading), but I wanted to
>>know if other people with this same hardware experienced the same thing.
>>
>>This box, together with an ES40 are used to crunch numbers, so every bit
>>of performance is needed. If this is expected behaviour, I'll just
>>revert back to the old install.
>>

>Yes, I, too, experienced the "sluggishness" of AC-0.9.
>
>And, to this point, AC-1.0a has been much better, feeling a good bit
>more responsive in interactive use.
>
>But it still feels a bit "pokey" compared to the old RH 7.2.
>
>I don't know if this is a compiler/library issue; if it IS, you might
>be happier sticking with those you know for performance critical
>reasons, at least until it shakes out a bit more...

I just did a quick and durty test - compressing 14Mb file with "gzip -9"
built by GCC and Compaq C compilers:
gcc 3.4.3 - 11.924 sec
ccc 6.5.6.002-1 - 11.019 sec

No special optimizations for ev56 processor were used. So, pure
crunching might stay on the same level.
My wild guess is - it is a combination of kernel and glibc and latest
hardware. :)
Like I said before - my AS200 flies comparing to RH 7.2.

Thank you,
--

---
Sergey Tikhonov