core status on alpha... and java

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Fri Mar 25 17:05:19 UTC 2005

Hello,

Bryan Dina wrote:

>How well does the current core work with alpha?  I have an AS 200 4/166,

Well, good question. :) For me it is not very different form the FC3
which is running on my amd64 (may be just slower ;-) ).
I used to have AS200/166 and comparing to my new 164lx/533 - the AS is
very slow.

>and am running FreeBSD 5.2.1 at the moment, however would be interested
>in moving to AlphaLinux if it is worth my time.  I am also interested in
>Java on the Alpha platform... I am about 100% certain that a java
>implementation does not exist (jvm), but I am not certain that I could
>not use gcj to do this... does alpha core come with gcj working??

You are right, there is no jvm. I don't use java, but gcj on alpha is
capable of compiling its own libraries and it should not be different
from gcj on other platforms. Yes, AC comes with gcj. :)

Regards,

--
---
Sergey Tikhonov