AlphaCore 1.0 final release !

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Wed May 11 13:48:46 UTC 2005

Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

>On Wed, 11 May 2005, Balint Cristian wrote:

>>>Just tried that.  It still claims it cannot "read" the disk.  Sergey
>>>recommended that I boot in rescue mode and try to mount it manually.  This
>>>works fine, as I expected.
>>>

>>What does it say exactly, can do Alt-F4 or some sort of Alt-F2,3,4 to see more debugs ?
>>

>I am now successfully installing on a fresh disk, which I permitted AC to
>partition and format for me :-).
>
>I notice one major difference between what Anaconda did on that disk and
>the way the troublesome disk is setup.  Anaconda does not follow the BSD
>convention of making the "C" slice cover the entire drive!  It has /boot
>as A, swap as B and the root partition as C.  My drive has /boot starting
>at cylinder 2 (to leave room for aboot), then swap as B, then C as the
>entire drive (starting at cylinder 1, not 2), followed by all the root
>partitions (D, E, F) from the various distros.
>
>Not being familiar with Anaconda, I wonder if it is getting confused by
>the situation - particularly the 'C' slice?

I think your assumptions are correct. The used anaconda is mainline one
with very few alpha specific patches.
To fix and debug anaconda scripts is very time consuming. I didn't find
a way (although I didn't look hard) to do it
without having a second machine.
It might not know about rules for "C slice" and simply decides that no
free space available. :) I don't remember
was RH7.2 able to install on such patition configuration.

>The only messages which were not routine are a series of complaints about
>Anaconda using an obsolete ioctl call for scsi generic driver.  This
>occurs at the time it's probing for the partition information.
>
>Please note that an actual booting kernel recognizes the partition map -
>AlphaCore 1.0 included.  If I boot in rescue mode, fdisk shows me exactly
>what I expect to see.  This is almost certainly an Anaconda problem rather
>than a kernel problem.
>
>Steve

Regards,

--