FC3 on UP2000 - "Unable to mount root fs on Unknown-Block" after install

A. Devine domokun at eircom.net
Sun May 15 15:10:45 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Tried many settings, eg set boot_osflags to root=/dev/hda(1,2,3) and the
"unknown-block (x,x)" changes digits, but the Kernel Panic remains. I have
followed Mikes tips on using FDisk during installation to manually set the
partitions up (first partition starting cyclinder 5 to make room to boot
loader) , but after 5 full FC3 installs, Im out of ideas! :(

The other oddity is that Mikes guide (Alpha Core Manual FDisk) mentions that
the disks should have a default BSD partition "c".. neither of my disks have
any partitions lest i set them up.

Please, any assistance would be great!

Alan